Our approach to Responsible Investment is underpinned by the observance of rigorous Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) guidelines and the implementation of sector leading value creation opportunities. Actis promotes world class standards in health and safety and the areas of environmental, climate change, social engagement and business integrity, as well as sound corporate governance and transparent accounting practices. Our commitment to these high standards (and our recognition of Actis’s responsibilities to broader society) has been central to our business since Actis opened its doors in 2004.
This commitment manifests itself in five ways:
- A full time in- house dedicated team of qualified professionals responsible for ESG (years before our peers in the asset class)
- The adoption of World Bank and IFC global standards
- Adherence to the UN-backed Principles for Responsible Investment (UNPRI)
- A determination to improve ESG at management level for all our portfolio companies
- The integration of ESG into our investment decisions
With our investee companies, we build sustainable value creation into the core operations of their businesses while also supporting their corporate responsibility programmes.
Ultimately it’s about more than ‘doing no harm’. Our approach means actively looking for opportunities to do good.